Reflexology is one of the oldest surviving healing techniques still practiced today. Proper non-painful stimulation of the reflex points in the feet and hands is a great way to encourage healthy changes in areas throughout the body.
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is an osteopathic healing technique that works with and effects the reflex points on the feet and hands to normalize, balance and encourage homeostasis (natural healthy balance of all systems) within the body.
What are the Benefits?
• Relieves stress by eliciting a natural relaxation response
• Is non-invasive and non-painful
• Benefits people of all ages
• Improves overall function of the body and is a true holistic form of therapy
• Teaches and promotes healthy body awareness
• Improves circulation of blood and lymph and benefits nerve function
• Helps to decrease anxiety and pain (E. Carolina Univ. School of Nursing)
• Is helpful for painful conditions of the feet, ankles, hands & wrists
• Is beneficial for individuals with edema (swelling) in the feet, ankles and lower legs, as well as the hands and arms.
• Benefits individuals with diabetes by providing circulatory assistance and neural stimulation.
How does it Work?
Reflexology is inherently holistic affecting multiple systems and functions of the body.
• Benefit the flow of lymph by manual compression of nodes located in the hands and feet
• Encourage healthy circulation
• Inform and encourage balance within the Meridian system
• Stimulate nerve cell fibers and provide additional information to the brain about the extremities
• Energize the immune system
What can I expect during a session?
Your session will be customized to meet your needs and goals. Our intake form will give your practitioner a current health history and a place to begin discussing your objectives. Clients new to our Institute may complete a medical history intake form either in the office or by downloading the form and bringing it to their appointment.
Clients are treated fully clothed, though you will be lying comfortably on a massage table throughout the session. Stimulation of the reflex points on the feet or hands tends to make the body feel very relaxed, soothed and comfortable. Creams or lotions may be applied for reflex work on the feet or hands. Your reflexology practitioner is experienced and will insure that treatments are comfortable and do not initiate counterproductive pain responses. Clients leave feeling tranquil, refreshed and more in touch with their body.
Can anyone benefit from Reflexology?
Reflexology benefits people of all ages and health conditions. Individuals with foot and hand challenges, diabetes, circulation or neuropathy issues will find Reflexology especially beneficial. Individuals need not have health problems to enjoy the benefits of Reflexology. Many find that regular sessions of Reflexology are a great way to maintain and enhance their health.
How long does a session last and how much does it cost?
Most sessions last no more than an hour. Half-hour sessions are a great way to receive the benefits of Reflexology for half the hourly price. An hour should be reserved for your initial session in order to fully cover your health history and work together to set goals and objectives.
Hand or Foot Reflexology
Ask our staff about Flexible Spending Cards or Health Spending Accounts.